Run Chandy Run

Sunday saw me take part in what I can only describe as one of the most challenging, demanding but rewarding experience of my life.

The london marathon is something I’ve always wanted to do for as long as I can remember. So when given the opportunity to run it again for a second time I didn’t think twice and jumped at the opportunity. This was a decision I would come to reflect upon during mile 10 but it’s one I have no regrets on making. 

Standing in the holding pens with all the other runners my heart began beating faster and I hadn’t even begun running yet- the second I crossed the start line I felt something take over me and I just ran with all the strength I could muster up. Even that wasn’t enough in the extreme heat. What didn’t help was on Saturday I had been at the London Marathon Expo and I’d been told I had fluid on my knee - so although I wanted to not slow down at around the mile 3 mark the fear of not being able to finish.

Mile 4, mile 5 pasted and I remember phoning my mum telling her I was still going but as I hung up the phone i really debated what I was doing. This internal debate kept going round in my head until I crossed London Bridge and saw the first charity cheer point. 

That’s when I was reminded why I had started, why my fundraising mattered and why the pain that was growing in almost every muscle in my body would be worth it - even if I didn’t feel it. As I kept passing the mile markers I could feel my left leg caving in on itself. Even the slightest amount of pressure and I could feel nothing but a sharpe pain run up my leg. 

Passing 16 miles I saw a friend so we continue to walk with each other for a few miles - providing each other with much needed motivation. It wasn’t till around 21 miles when I decided to stop and see a St.Johns ambulance worker and have my leg looked at. After having a brief discussion with them and having my leg looked at I took back to the streets of london with even more drive to cross the line than when I started. It was weird because for a good mile and a half he pain went and my pace picked up.

Soon enough Embankment would become visible along with the faint image of a brain tumour charity logo. This alone would spur me on to continue and not stop! As I reached the team I could feel my legs turning to jelly! My fear of not finishing was growing - so it was then that the group of staff began packing up the banners and flags jumped the barriers and walked the remain few miles with me!  

Having the team walk that last section of the course with me, gave me the much needed burst of energy and strength to finish. 

As I approached the finish line and could hear the crowds of people cheering! Then I saw it the 600 meters to go that soon changed into a yards sign and there in front of my was the finish the thing I’d wanted to see all day but had been left wondering if I’d ever cross myself. 

“You can do it”, “you got this” the messages of encouragement from the crowd and other members of staff waiting at the finish line kept coming...both driving me forward and also leading to become an emotional wreck. 

Crossing the line - my body just sighed and I could feel it closing in on itself. despite the pain the realisation I’d achieved it was setting in and the messages of support began to flood my phone. 

In that moment I knew I’d achieved more than just the challenge of 26.2 Miles in 8 hours! I’d proven to myself that a crazy idea can become a reality. 

Thank you to all those who donated, texted me and messaged me throughout the day! You guys are amazing! 

Now onto my next big challenge... 

Thanks for reading, Chandy 

#fundraising #london #londonmarathon #disability #LewisMoodyFoundation #braintumourcharity #motivation #inspire #challenge

Featured Posts
Posts are coming soon
Stay tuned...
Recent Posts